Hot desking, or desk hoteling, is a system within a workplace where colleagues share the use of a number of desks on an ad hoc basis.
The concept was previously most popular amongst freelance workers and the self-employed who use shared office spaces. However, larger organisations with private offices are now adopting it increasingly too, providing a place to work when remote workers, flexible workers and field-based staff come into the office.
The Benefits of Hot Desking
- Reduce costs by reducing office size and losing redundant space
- No clutter or personal items kept on desks makes it easier to clean for a safe working environment
- Supports flexible working which can boost staff morale
- Encourages collaboration between colleagues across different departments
What is Hot Desk Booking Software?
Hot desk booking software supports this concept of sharing desks. It allows members of staff to choose a desk and reserve it in advance. By supporting hot desking with the right software, it gives a range of benefits for both the users and managers too.
- Set a maximum number of bookings per day to manage office capacities
- Provides reporting to analyse usage
- A data reference point for track and trace purposes
- Peace of mind a desk is secured for remote workers, no wasted commutes
- See where others have booked to collaborate with colleagues
- Show resources at desks to book the right seat with what is needed
Clearooms includes all of the above hot desk booking features and more. It is supporting a safe return to the office for many organisations by helping to manage phased returns and flexible working. New features are regularly added to Clearooms, based upon the needs and suggestions of our users. Developing the software ourselves provides us with the ability to respond quickly and adapt Clearooms to how our users need it to work for them.
We have allocated desks, is desk booking software for us?
Desk booking software doesn’t just have to be for offices with unassigned, permanent desks. Booking your own desk in advance works as an indication to others as to what days you plan to be in the office, helping to adhere to new office capacities and social distancing. It also supports flexible working in this same way, as it shows others when you intend to be in the office, and when you will be working from home.
Clearooms has a free 30-day trial to see how it could fit into your workplace. There’s no credit card needed to sign up and it's really quick to get started. If you’d like to know more, take a look at our features page, or for pricing click here. If you have any questions about hot desking in your office, please feel free to get in touch.